|Assistant Conservator Of Forest (ACF)|
Forest Department Notification SRO – 359 dated 24th July, 1970 - In exercise of the powers conferred by proviso to section 124 of the Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir the Governor is pleased to make the following rules, namely: -
1. Short title and commencement:
i. These rules may be called the Jammu and Kashmir Forest Service (Gazetted) Recruitment Rules, 1970.
ii. These shall come into force from the date these are published in the Government Gazette.
2. Scope of the rules: These rules shall apply to the appointments and promotions to all the posts included in the Jammu and Kashmir Forest Service as detailed in the Scheduled annexed to these rules.
3. Definitions: In these rules, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context: -
a. "Cadre" means cadre of the service;
b. "Commission" means the Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission;
c. "Member of the Service" means a person appointed to a post in the service under the provisions of these rules or the rules and orders superseded by rule 4;
d. "Schedule" means the Schedule annexed to these rules;
e. "Service" means the Jammu and Kashmir Forest (Gazetted) Service;
f. "State" means the State of Jammu and Kashmir;
g. "Promotion" means promotion from one class, category or grade to another class, category or grade in the service on the basis of merit and efficiency are approximately equal.
4. Supersession of existing rules and orders: All existing rules and orders relating to matters covered by these rules shall stand suspended but any action taken in pursuance of such rules and orders before the enforcement of these rules shall be deemed to have been taken under these rules.
i. The service shall comprise the posts, classes, categories and grades as are indicated in the Schedule.
ii. The posts included in the cadre shall be treated temporary unless declared permanent by the Government.
6. Cadre: The cadre of the service shall consist of such posts and such numbers of them as may be fixed for each of its classes from time to time by the Government.
7. Qualifications and method of recruitment:
i. No person shall be eligible for appointment or promotion to any class, category or grade in the service unless he is in possession of the qualifications as laid down in the Schedule.
ii. Appointment to the service shall be made:
a. by direct recruitment;
b. by promotion; and
c. partly by direct recruitment and partly by promotion in the ratio and in the manner as indicated in the Schedule.
iii. In case no suitable departmental candidates are available for promotion, the posts shall be filled up by direct recruitment.
8. Age at recruitment: The age of a direct recruit in case of ACFs shall on the first day of April of the year of admission in Diploma Course in Forestry in Forest Research Institute and Colleges, Dehra Dun, not be less than 19 years and more than 24 years. In case of departmental candidates (trained Rangers in Government Service) the age shall not be less than 19 years and more than 29 years. The prescribed upper age limit may be relaxed in the case of Scheduled Castes, Backward Class candidates for both direct recruit and departmental candidates by period of five years 1 [:].
[Provided that the minimum age limit for in-service candidates possessing M.Sc. Forestry Degree shall be 35 years].
9. General qualifications: No person shall be appointed to any post in the service unless he -
i. possesses qualifications as laid down for the post in the Schedule;
ii. fulfils the requirements as recruitment as provided in the rules and orders for the time being in force.
10. Eligibility of Government servants for direct recruitment: A person already in Government service may apply for direct recruitment to a vacant post in any particular class or category in the service if he possesses the educational and other qualifications prescribed for recruitment to such class and category of post.
11. Promotion: Persons appointed substantively whether direct or by promotion, to any class or category in the service shall be on probation for two years and their confirmation in the service shall be regulated under the provisions of the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1956:
Provided that the officers of Class II (ACFs) shall not be confirmed unless they pass the Accounts Examination as referred to in rule 13.
12. Reservation of appointments: While making appointments, either by promotion or direct, reservation shall be made in accordance with the rules and orders issued from time to time for members of the Scheduled Castes, Backward Classes any other category or class of permanent residents of the State for whom such reservation may be made under orders of the Government.
13. Accounts examination:
i. ACFs recruited direct or by promotion shall not be entitled to draw their next increment before they pass the Accounts Examination prescribed in this behalf by the Government in constitution with the Commission.
ii. Officers in Class I Category A (NG) will also be eligible to qualify in the Accounts Examination prescribed for ACFs; provided they possess D.D.R. and have put in 5 years service in the grade of 150-400.
14. Discipline and conduct: In regard to all matters governing the service conditions of the members of the service and their conduct and discipline, the provisions of the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1956 and other rules and orders in force at the time shall apply.
i. Seniority of the members of the service shall be, regulated under the Jammu and Kashmir Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1956.
1. Substituted and inserted vide SRO-252 dated 16.06.1981.
ii. The Forest (Secretariat) Department shall maintain an up to date and final seniority list of the service.
16. Residuary matters: In regard to matters not specifically covered by these rules or by regulations or orders issued thereunder or by a special order, the members of the service shall be governed by the rules, regulations and orders applicable to the State Civil Service in general.
Qualification for direct recruitment Method of recruitment
Hold a Bachelors Degree in Natural Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Geology, Agriculture/Economics, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Chemical Engineering from a recognized Indian University or holds an equivalent foreign qualification. Candidates having the said provided in case of Degree with Mathematics or Statistics or Economics must have had one of the following subjects in Higher Secondary/Matriculation or equivalent examination. 50% by direct recruitment in accordance with the IFC Dehra Dun Rules as laid down from time to time; provided that a candidate who has already obtained a Master’s Degree in Forestry from a recognized Institute or an equivalent qualification may be appointed to the post of Assistant Conservator of Forest provided he – a. is declared suitable by the Commission for appointment to the post;b. is otherwise eligible under the Rules; and c. 50% by promotion from Forest Rangers Grade I from amongst persons having successfully completed the Ranges Course from and Rangers College (DDR Diploma) and having not less than 10 years service in that category.